10 things about CCS
- Tackling climate change without CCS will be more expensive
- CCS is applicable to industrial sources of carbon dioxide (CO2), not just fossil-fuelled power plant
- Biomass and CCS will result in negative carbon dioxide emissions
- CCS is already happening!
- CCS is creating new jobs in the UK
- Carbon dioxide has been safely captured, stored and transported for decades
- Fossil fuel power stations work even when it’s not windy or sunny, so low carbon fossil fuel power stations with CCS are complimentary to intermittent renewables and inflexible nuclear energy
- Disused oil and gas pipelines can be reused to transport carbon dioxide
- The UK’s Committee on Climate Change see CCS as a key technology
- Hydrogen produced in “pre-combustion capture” installations can be used to power vehicles
WHAT IS CCS?
What is CCS?